Monday, November 29, 2010

Lead by example

It's always fun hearing about other people's workout routines.  The best thing is seeing it in action!  One thing I've noticed when I'm at a fitness center or weight room are two types of people.  The ones who are there to get the job done and get out and others that are just going through the motions to say they went to the gym.  Close to the end of a workout I completed a little over a week ago, I had a girl come up and ask me about my routine.  I don't know how old, maybe 16 or 17.  She had mentioned to me that she's never seen someone "work out as hard as you do."  I didn't realize that anyone actually paid attention when I work out, but that made me think a little bit. 
It was a nice compliment, but there's plenty of people who work harder than me when it comes to fitness, strength training and just over all training. 
She had mentioned how it looked like what I was doing was painful and hard on me at times.  I talked to her about pushing myself as hard as I can and why I do some of the training I do.  I'll mention it in just a second, but one routine that is very affective for me, only takes ten minutes with short rest periods during the actual workout.  Very seldom do I have anyone, especially a younger person like that come up to me and ask about my work outs. 
The one in particular she was curious about was kettle bell training.  If you've done anything with these before, at an intense rate for a period of time, you know what it does to you!  There's points where you're working just to keep the grip of the bell from slipping because of the sweat.  The day she had asked me about the workouts, I was doing something called a ladder with two different exercises.  Swings, the basic workout for kettle bells, and squats.  In that particular session, my goal was to do 40/6, 30/7, 25/8, 20/9, 10/10 in ten minutes or less.  What that means is 40 two handed swings, six squats, 30 two handed swings, 7 squats, etc.  For me personally, with a 16 kg bell (36 lbs.).  It's a great workout, but boy does it hurt by the end!  That was mixed with a few other work outs that day.
Having that girl come ask me about the entire routine afterwards made me realize quick that no matter who's in the gym or who's not, you work as hard as you can to make yourself better.  You never know who might be watching and wanting to learn about how they can make themselves better, just like you are at the time.

Plus when you're in the gym, you just never know who you might run into! 

Me with MMA Legend and former WWE Superstar, Ken Shamrock at Star Fitness
in Mahnomen, MN back in July

1 comment:

  1. I think sometimes having spectators makes us work a little harder. :-)It's important for people to understand that results CAN/WILL happen with hard work and dedication. Nice picture!

    ReplyDelete