Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Holidays

It's getting close to holiday season.  For some of us, "holiday season" has already been here and continues throughout the rest of the year! 
On Thursday November 11th, we celebrated something called Veteran's Day.  To many, the day to celebrate those who are serving, have served in the military and also those who have made the ultimate sacrfice, losing their life for our freedom.  For me and some others, Veteran's Day is more than just a day...it's something I try to celebrate everyday.  It's one of the reasons why I run.  When I see the flag raised up at every event, hear that Star Spangled Banner and the cheers to follow, you know it's go time!  It's that one final reminder for me personally, "Remember why you're doing this and who you're doing it for."  I'm reminded every day during training in the winter.  The thing so many people get annoyed with is knowing how much farther they've got to go, or seeing how much more time is left on the timer that's part of that electronic board on the treadmill.  I know the feeling...been there, done that.  That's why every time I am at the gym, I bring a reminder with me as to why I run.  The very first 'uniform' I wore while running with the flag.  It states: Land of the free, because of the brave
Below that, a picture of my good friend Sgt. Corey Rystad who was killed by an IED on December 2nd, 2006 in Fallujah, Iraq out on patrol.  He along with fellow soldier Bryan McDonough, both from Minnesota, lost their lives.  My other friend John Kriesel lost both his legs from the knees down, almost losing his life in that same blast.  I think about John and all of the guys who had to go through something like that.  Plus, having that picture of my friend placed right in front of me on a treadmill...smiling like he always was, it just makes the training session go that much better.  When I feel the want to quit or give in for the day, I look at that picture and go back to the day of his funeral.  The feeling you have watching as a family has to say goodbye to their 20-year old brother and son who missed his 21st birthday by twenty-nine days. 
This next month is a tough month, especially for my friend's family.  December 2nd - the day of Corey's passing.  December 13th - The date of Corey's funeral in 2006.  December 25th - Christmas.  December 31st - This year would be his 25th birthday.  
It's the spark to another fire that's lit inside me, preparing me mentally and emotionally for another great running year.  I've been told before that one man's loss can be another man's gain.  I hate the fact that this is so true....but I will make the best of what I've got.
Corey told me once, when he was 17 and I asked him why he can't control himself from extreme laughter so often... "If you ain't laughing, you ain't living."  Then he started laughing again because he thought the word ain't was funny. 
One thing I never heard Corey do was complain.  He was always optimistic no matter what situation he was in.  I try to live my life the same way he did - and bring it into my training for all of the marathon events. 
Motivation - Inspiration - Preparation - Determination
That's on the back of my uniform...the four keys to succeed in what ever you do.  Be motivated, be prepared, don't be afraid to be inspired by someone or something and with those all combined in your training, you will be determined to cross that finish line. 

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!  Don't eat too much, but if you do...just burn it off when you exercise!!  You've got plenty of time to get yourself ready for FARGO in May of 2011!!

No comments:

Post a Comment