Friday, November 26, 2010

Too much turkey

It always seems like the Thanksgiving holiday brings forth a lot of food.  It was no different this year at my parents' place.  A great day to spend with the family, for runners it can be a day that will take a lot of time to work off all the pounds you gain in that time! 
Luckily Thanksgiving falls in the off-season (for the most part) of running.  The main marathon events, like the Fargo Marathon, are held in the spring, summmer or fall.  It's as if they plan them accordingly to let us pig out during November and December.  Which is just fine for me. 
I'm one that enjoys the food.  No matter what kind it is, it's all good stuff.  I thought about it the day before Thanksgiving how much food you really consume during that time.  From about 1pm and on, I was always snacking on something.  Some sort of vegtables, fruits and of course, couldn't keep my hands off the sweets.  Once you eat one, you think, "One more won't hurt..."  Then the same thing again, and again and again... well, you get the picture! 
No matter how much you pack on during the holidays, enjoy it!  Times like that don't happen too often.  When the new year comes, you'll have plenty of time to burn it off! 
Back in 2008, prior to the first full marathon I ran, I decided to take part in a biggest loser competition that was put on by a co worker of mine for anyone that wanted to be part of it.  I think they were surprised I actually wanted to participate.  The main reasoning, they had you weigh in at the end of each week, something I never paid attention to in the past and figured it'd be kind of interesting to see how much, if any, pounds I lose during training.  From early February to the beginning of May (about the time of the Fargo Marathon that year) I kept track each week to the pounds I definitely was losing.  Twenty-one pounds I lost in that time frame from discipline, commitment and desire to go into the fitness center on the days I needed to.  I wasn't in it to lose weight, but when you want to accomplish a goal, other good things come with it! 
Starting out training at 178, the most I've ever weighed to my knowledge, I had a race weight of 157.  I'm about 5'8", so I felt really good with that weight.  About 160-165 is what I'm shooting for this year, as I'm around 175 right now.  By the end of Christmas, should be back around 178 at the pace I'm going! 
I'll get that discipline back, the desire is always there and determination to get it done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment