Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Motivation

Laying there with my feet flat on the ground, knees up and hands over my head staring straight up to the ceiling of the fitness center after another good workout, I needed to think.  I had just finished stretching my muscles…now it’s time to stretch the mind too. 
It is December 1st already.  First day of the month that seems to be everyone’s favorite.  It’s a time for holiday cheer, reflecting back on another year and just enjoying time with family and friends.
I do all of that as well.   What I was really stretching my mind to do was reflect back not just on the last year, but the previous four years.   Today, December 2nd, 2010 marks the fourth anniversary for the passing of a good friend that made the ultimate sacrifice along side his fellow soldier who also grew up in Minnesota.  It was four years ago today that things started to change for me, mentally.  The way I looked at life.  The way I felt when it comes to spending time with the people that mean the most. 
In four years, I’ve also done a lot of running.  Spent a lot of time in that fitness center where I lay thinking about the accomplishments that may not have happened if it wasn’t for the driving force behind it.  There’s a saying on the wall in this fitness center I work out at, that stares right at me every time I’m on a treadmill there.  It says “Motivation is what gets you started; Habit is what keeps you going.”  Let’s sum it up for you…
Motivation can be described for me in three very simple words: a fallen soldier.
I mentioned in a Memorial Day speech I gave this last year that one man’s loss can be another man’s gain.  How unfortunate I felt to have that statement become so true in my life. 
Sgt. Corey Rystad lost his life exactly four years ago today.  I got a call asking me if I had heard about his passing from a friend.  I can remember this night like it was just recently.  It’s weird how it all just comes back to you so quick when the time arises. 
When I walked into the fitness center last night, I felt like someone had tapped me on the shoulder and mentioned to me “remember why you’re doing this…you’re running for a reason.”  Like I didn’t know that already, but it was engraved a little deeper into my mind getting started with the Sprint 8 workout I was about to do. 
Running for a reason – the only way my sister could get me to do something other than the marathon relays we had been planning for future years.  Well, I should say I had been planning for future years.  NOTHING was going to make me run a half marathon.  NOTHING was going to make me run like a crazy person does – 26.2 miles.  It was not only SOMETHING that brought me to this point, but more so, someone. 
When I was lying there, catching my breath, stretching my mind and just reflecting on the good times that have been had since the start of this madness in 2007 – I couldn’t help but think about one thing Corey had told me prior to a radio show we did his senior year.  Off the air, he was talking about some things going on at school.  Telling me this story, he started laughing, uncontrollably.  I mentioned to him that he laughs quite a bit and asked why he does.  His remark was “If you ain’t laughing, you ain’t living.”  Then he started laughing again.  Something he did quite often when we talked.  Then I started to realize last night thinking about that…I wasn’t laughing.  The statement got to me that it’s very true.  You’re wasting your time if you’re not enjoying every moment of life.  Not saying you have to joke about everything and never be serious, but if we take everything too seriously, we’ll miss out on a lot of things that could have been fun by just changing our attitudes towards it. 
Four years already.  Time goes by fast. 
In twenty-nine days, this kid would be 25 years old this year.  What a great birthday, isn’t it??  New Year’s Eve.  Just a big ole celebration it’d be for him.  I wouldn’t call him 25 though, I’d mention to Corey that he’s halfway to fifty so he’d have to dye half of his hair gray so people knew how old he was.  The interesting thing, or maybe more so scary thing, is that he’d probably do it. 
I’m not sure what he’d be doing now if he was still around, maybe back in school, already working somewhere…either way, he’d be enjoying every minute of it.  I know that for a fact. 
I’m glad I got to know him, at least a little bit.  If we were able to get together when he got back, that could have been dangerous.  He might have even tried to get back on the air here, but with FCC (Federal Communications Commission) regulations, he probably wouldn’t have lasted long.   It would be entertaining none the less. 
As I think about today we remember a great person who lost his life for us.  It was two great people – one I didn’t know, Bryan McDonough of Maplewood, MN…and then Corey Rystad, of a small town who’s name is too big to fit across the entire green sign that’s posted on the north and south sides of town on Highway 32.  Red Lake Falls, MN.  On the sign, Red is on top of Lake Falls, with ‘Pop. 1590’ below that in smaller print.  That’s population 1,590.  Everyone from this small town that gets deployed will make it back safe.  At least I thought so over four years ago. 
No matter what happens, you make it through.  You never move on, but you do move forward.  You never forget the people who touched your lives like Corey did for me.  And you’ll always remember the dedication, loyalty, respect and sacrifice he showed to the United States of America.  Not only in stories but by the stone located in St. Joseph’s Cemetery on the edge of town.  Corey John Rystad …December 31, 1985 – December 2, 2006. 
This is why I run.  The flag I carry represents Corey and all of the fallen soldiers that are with him now.  It’s not just a run for me.  It’s my mission.  To keep my friend’s name alive, every step of the way.  Whether people join me or not, I will be there.  My running will never equal the sacrifice that Corey and so many others have made, but it’s something.  I mentioned in a presentation I gave on Veterans Day this year (which you can see in the Media section of this site) that I don’t do this for recognition.  I don’t do it for praise or anything else that might render it as a selfish act.  I honor and pay respect to my friend the way I want to.  A way that takes time, energy and sacrifice to accomplish a goal.  We run to remember…and we will never forget. 

I know you’re with me every step of the way, Corey.  You are a great friend, you’re my team captain and without question, my inner motivation.  May you rest in peace my friend.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment