Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Beat the cold

Nobody likes the extreme cold, especially when it comes to working out. The out doors exercise is really tough to accomplish and even now with the temperatures below zero, getting up in the morning with it dark and cold doesn't help to spring you forward to head out to the gym either. Busy schedules are always going to be with each of us and now that it's close to the holidays, more and more excuses can come up. The thing I sometimes have trouble with is the whole telling yourself "well if I miss a workout today, it won't hurt." Once or twice is fine, but more than that will get you in to trouble. It's the whole consistency thing. Stay steady, stay positive and keep your focus on the goal. Something that helps out a lot is to write out your goals for yourself and make a copy with someone who you trust to try and keep you motivated. Not to the point they're going to be annoying, but just keep it fresh in your mind. Have the person you give you goal sheet to remind you each day, or every other day of your wishes. What you want to accomplish and when. It's easier to listen to someone else than to try and motivate ourselves to do it. I don't know how many times I've been told in the past that "you can't" "you won't be able to do that" "that will be too tough". Instead of letting that soak in, concentrate on the good that people tell you. The ones who believe in you and your ability. The words of encouragement that will get you to the next level. I remember the first half marathon I prepared for...I had more doubt in my mind than anyone. I didn't need to be reminded that I was crazy, because I had called everyone else that in the past. It only took one person to keep me motivated and focused on my goal, that was my sister who had been there, done that. She was the most positive, supportive and had the biggest influence on my running than anyone else. Find that one person you can stick with no matter how bad things seem. If you need to, call them just to talk. Most supporters (all of the ones I know) are willing to listen and give you advice no matter when you call.
Good luck to you in your running adventures!

- Philco

No comments:

Post a Comment