Saturday, December 11, 2010

Congratulations, Fargo Marathon!

"Hard work pays off!"
Ever heard that saying before?  Maybe you've heard it but haven't believed it.  I know someone who takes it to heart and has believed it since he started this event in Fargo, ND -- Mark Knutson. 
I get the magazine Runner's World and sure enough, January 2011 edition, page 83 - one of the top ten places to do your first full marathon....Fargo, ND at the Fargo Marathon!
I remember the first event that was held at the Fargo Civic Center back in May of 2005.  My parents, sister and I compiled a relay team to be part of the first annual event.  Not only did my sister participate in the team event, she started our team out then kept going to finish her first ever full marathon.  I remember the look on her face after the run.  The sense of accomplishment she felt.  So excited, and probably pretty tired after ending a 26.2 mile journey for the first time in her life.  I also remember thinking, wow you're crazy, Nikki! 
I believe it was around 2,600 participants that year.  Not too bad for a first time event.  In six years, that has grown to over 20,000 including a 5K, 10K, half & full marathon along with the relays - four person and now a two person.  To accompany that, the entertainment along the way, the screaming fans in their different colors and business/organization names associated with their cheering section.  The volunteers who are so supportive of all the runners, handing out water, juice, gu and at certain stops, food! 
I have been a part of the Fargo Marathon events since 2005.  Two marathon relays (2005 & 2006), three half marathons (2007, 2009 & 2010) and my first full marathon in 2008.  It's been one of the greatest experiences of my life.  Especially since we get to end now in the Fargodome.  Coming through that garage area where the team buses pull into for the Bison games, entering the Fargodome floor and hearing the fans cheering us on to the finish that is only fifty yards away at that point, there is no better way to start off a morning.  All that you worked for, standing there in front of you...FINISH.
My congratulations to Mark, his staff, volunteers and sponsors who have all made this event such a success!  Keep up the great work and know you're making a huge difference in the life of so many with their health and quality of living! 
We'll see you at the 7th annual Fargo Marathon in 2011!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment