Sunday, April 3, 2011

Try something new

Routine can be a little too repetitious when it comes to training.  It’s always good to mix things up a bit, even when you’re half way or more into your program.  If you don’t have a program to follow for marathon, half marathon, 10K or 5K training that you’re prepping for, this wouldn’t be a problem at all.  Part of my three by two program (three days of running, two days of cross training along with two days of rest) none of it really incorporated particular cross training routines.  I just pick my own when it comes down to it.  I’ve tried to mix it up as much as possible such as biking, boxing, elliptical, kettle bell workouts and other strength and speed training.  I’ve realized quick that interval training, which I had lacked in the past, does wonders.  From doing the Sprint 8, to the one day interval running that I’ve sometimes transitioned to two or even all three of the days for my running has increased my stamina to endure longer distances at a mid to high tempo when you need to go for a longer run. 
When you are open to learning new ways of improving your health, the possibilities are endless.  Just this past week I went to check out a couple of outfits in Fargo, ND that provide what’s called Cross Fit.  I had heard of it a couple years ago from a friend of mine that was in the US Army and showed me just one work out session that they go through.  It was extremely tough, as was this workout I was put through on Thursday night.  As I type this, Sunday evening, my shoulders are still sore from the dead lifts of heavy weight that I definitely wasn’t used to.  It’s very high intensity working out in a timed setting to finish the allotted amount of reps and rounds as fast as you can.  You can break as much as you need, which I surely did to not only wipe off sweat, but relax the muscles.  I worked muscles I usually don’t in a typical run day.  It was a good experience but at the same time, I wish I had more time to learn exactly what I was going to be going through.  Cross Fit is hard work but something I know would benefit me by starting out at a little more of a pace my upper body can handle.  I’ll be the first to admit which I need to otherwise it’d spell damage to myself…that I’m very weak upper body.  That will change after going through that work out Thursday night.  I’ve realized I need to work more on the balance of my own body to make sure I’m fully prepared to take on everything that will be part of this race season.   I’m in good run shape to get me through the events without a doubt, but it’s that added upper body strength that I’ve been avoiding that needs to get stronger so I can achieve my goals at the best rate possible. 

Just a bit of advice when it comes to checking out new routines, programs and other ways to exercise while you’re in full preparation for your next race: Always be willing to try new things.  There’s so many different things you can do when it comes to your fitness that others are willing to teach you.  Give it a shot!  If you don’t have fun with it, don’t keep doing it.  Make sure whatever you do for your training is something you enjoy, that will make it a lot easier to stay on track and accomplish what you’re setting out to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment