Sunday, April 10, 2011

Training back home

It’s not every day that you get the chance to run outside in decent weather.  At least this year it hasn’t been the case.  Yesterday I had the opportunity to not only get outside to run, but run some hills, stairs, through some mud and other minor obstacles that most wouldn’t appreciate. 
I started my training route from my parents’ place in Red Lake Falls and made my way out to visit a couple friends.  It was a good half way point to rest quickly and take some time to think.  The running outside was excellent, with a light windy at my back to start that seemed a lot stronger once you got out on a country road and not many trees in the way to block the it.  From where I started to the very top of the hill I had to go up in town, it was just over a mile.  Another mile and a quarter got me out to my destination where I could walk a bit and go from one spot to the next.  Most of the mud that I encountered was at this location, which was a cemetery.  Walking down the curvy road that led to the back section of the cemetery, I could feel the mud and water start to slush around in my Vibrams.  They sure do feel like you’re running barefoot with a little pad in between the sole of your foot and the ground.  I never really realized how great these shoes are until I have now run on a couple different forms of trail that I had to use on the route out to see my friends.  Going against traffic, you could see when people were coming, which meant it was time to get farther over to my left without running in the ditch.  That forced me to run on some gravel, which I wasn’t too thrilled about, but it felt pretty cool.  It was more of a challenge too, considering the fact my body was almost slanted to the left trying to stay up top where the road was and not sliding down the wet slope of the grass where I would have landed into some kind of slop between the field and the road.  Could have been fun, but at the same time, not so much. 
I was about to go on a mission looking for a site I wasn’t sure of and forgot to ask my parents before I left as they would have known for sure.   On Veteran’s Day last year, a day that was going so well became a night that was hard to think straight.  I got a call from my dad on my way to Hillsboro, ND to broadcast a Region championship volleyball match (obviously a very important game, to go to state) where he informed me about a friend of our family, Simon Schmitz had passed away earlier that day unexpectedly.  Simon was only 26 years old.  When I heard that focus something very hard to come by that night, other than focusing on the disbelief of what you heard earlier that evening.   The whole “I still can’t believe he’s gone” saying kept playing back in my mind when I came around the pine tree that lines up evenly to lead you right to my other friend Corey’s grave.  When I looked to the left, I saw a location without a tombstone and just a little sign, or whatever you want to call it, with Simon’s name on it.  He’s within twenty yards of Corey at this cemetery.  So I was out there for a bit during my training session.  Strange place to “hang out” while you’re training, isn’t it? 
Everyone says they want my motivation.   In order to keep my own motivation going strong, you have to stop by and remember exactly why you’re motivated to keep going. 
After running back into town to my parents’ and stretching quick, my mom brought me over to the school where I was allowed access to the weight room to finish up some other work outs.  Even got to work out with my mom for a while, she hopped on the elliptical there and ran for a while before heading back home.  I stayed in there to get some ab work, jump rope and some free weights done with my former junior varsity basketball coach. 
It was fun to get the chance to go back home for part of the weekend to see most of my family.  I also attended the Lions club meeting at Bethany Church with my dad to take in some delicious breakfast that was dished up and talk about the project that I’m aligned with that the Lions support very strong.  (
www.projectnewhope.net)
As I write today, this is a rest day for me.  Last week I had a little food poisoning that kept me from eating for 48 hours.  Some people I talked to said it was the flu and that I should have gotten my flu shot.  I don’t think that really does much for food poisoning.  I had it happen a couple years ago too, same symptoms and lasted the same amount of time.  Just a couple days, the a day of eating little as your stomach doesn’t want to handle much, now I’m back to normal.  It’s a process that is not fun at all, but it happens.  My body went through some dehydration during that time, so rest is more important to me right now to take an extra day or two off than to sprint right back into it and try to “catch up”.  I’m in good enough shape right now to get back on track no problem starting tomorrow again after yesterday’s good workout. 
Last night also helped, getting the chance to relax and watch some boxing over in Walker, MN.  A friend of mine that works out at the same gym as me was boxing in the Upper Midwest Championships for a chance to make it to the nationals in a couple of weeks.  He fought again today, but I needed some extra time to rest so didn’t make a trip back over.  Boxing is one thing I do for cross training, but after watching last night again, all I can say is, I am glad that I’m the only one punching against another guy who’s just got pads on and not punching back.  It’s enough of a workout just punching…getting punched too would make it extremely difficult!
Enjoy the nice weather that’s finally here!  Get the outside runs prepared and starting the final month of preparation to your goal at the Fargo Marathon or any other race you’re going to attempt in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment