Friday, April 29, 2011

The time has come

When you work towards a goal, it seems to be years away before the first run.  All of the hard work put in will finally be set in place with the first runs of the 2011 season this weekend.  First in West Fargo, ND at the WFHS Student Council's 5K benefiting Hope, Inc. & the Zach Gabbard family of Perham, MN.  Following that, I'll get the chance to spend some time with the group that will be running with me at the run Saturday.  Wild Knights CrossFit is a gym down in Fargo run by a husband and wife (the Knights) who were both in the service.  I met them about a month ago when I was down in Fargo one night.  I think I talked to Dustin for about ninety minutes that night about several things.  I'm looking forward to teaming with them at this run and some others this year too! 
From there, we'll make the trip down to Eagan, MN for the Tribute to the Troops 5K then Scoops for Troops ice cream fundraiser.  That alone will get you out to support the troops!  Last year they brought in several groups plus Goldy the Gopher was there along with some of the Vikings' cheerleaders.  So more reasons for you to come on out...
The night prior to that event, I'll get the chance to accompany a few of the families at Fort Snelling Cemetery where thousands of soldiers are laid to rest.  We did that last year too which was nice.  I got the chance to visit the gravesite of Bryan McDonough who was killed in the same blast as my friend Corey...and right next to him, Jimmy Wosika, who I was told by his dad, was Corey's best friend over seas while in the service. 
This will not only be a fun weekend with family and friends, but a very special one once again. 
It's time to get some things packed and ready to go for the trip.  No better way to spend the Friday night prepping with relaxation after a good forty-five minute workout in the gym doing some circuit workouts of jumprope, med ball, kettle bells and elliptical.  Now time for packing and watching the Spurs (hopefully) beat the Grizzlies to force a game seven before getting some sleep to battle the wind tomorrow morning in North Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment