Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Success story

When you listen to others you can learn so much.  I do that every time I’m in the fitness center.  The most enjoyable thing to hear from other people doing their thing (working out) is stories of how they’re progressing.   I want to take some time in this blog spot to tell you about a guy who’s been working his tail off to get to where he wants to at the stand point of good health.
His name is Jeremy, another guy from Mahnomen and a guy I’ve seen in the fitness center I go to for work outs many times!  You find a group of people who are into running, lifting or any type of fitness and it makes your time there a lot more fun. 
I talked to Jeremy again tonight before he headed out.  We were joking with a guy who hadn’t been in to the center for quite some time due to a trip out of country the last month.  He had commented on how Jeremy looks very good and in shape since the last time he saw him.  I’ve obviously seen him at work and accomplishing his goal day by day while attending sessions at the fitness center at similar times as him.  He’s told me many times how much stronger he feels, how much more energy he’s got and of course, how many pounds he’s shedding as the result of his hard work.  I honestly can’t remember when he started this work out regiment, maybe four or five months, he told me tonight he’s down forty pounds.  Started out at 230, he’s down to 190.  The comment he made tonight is so simple, so easy to understand, yet hard to swallow for so many people.  “It’s taken a lot of discipline…a LOT of discipline.”  Mix that with hard work, what do you get?  RESULTS!
When I see him in the fitness center, I know we’re going to have a good chat for a while before, after or in between work outs I have while I’m there.  It’s great though…with the mental aspect of my training.  Hearing him talk about his level of fitness, how far he’s come in such a short amount of time (well, I guess that’d be considered a LONG time for a lot of people) and the excitement he brings for himself and others there.  A true motivation factor for anyone that needs it. 
The best part about Jeremy – he doesn’t compare his fitness and ability to anyone else.  Others may hear him talk about losing that much weight, ask him how he did it and get scared away.  He was determined and has continued to be in order to reach this level. 
Tonight, while I was warming up with a run/jog/walk on the treadmill, I watched as he did some boxing workouts with Chris, the trainer who helps us out with that if we want.  He went four rounds I think to start, then did some other lifting before coming back to Chris after I did four rounds following my warm up to tell him: “I want to go two more rounds, let’s go.”   DETERMINATION AT IT’S FINEST, BABY!!
I’ve got two other friends, Nate & Teddy that come in there sometimes when I’m in.  Two other guys who get their job done, stay focused and get out.  It’s never a comparison between us…who ran the most miles, which ran the fastest pace, who worked out longer than the other.  We all complement each other on the job we do, that’s what makes it fun and keeps you going. 
So next time you hear someone talking with excitement about the progress their making…don’t let it get you down and think that you’re a bad person if you haven’t started to better yourself.  Use it as a motivator, feed off their energy and get started!  Ask that person if they’ll help you get going if you have to.  I bet they’d be more than happy to help you out. 
I look forward to every trip to the fitness center here, no matter what time of day.  I know there will be someone in there that is working hard and will help to energize me to make myself better.  Even if there’s not, I’ll handle it on my own.    Inner motivation goes a long way – find yours and feel the power it will release in you. 
It all starts with your attitude, though.  Tell yourself you’re going to do it then act on it, it will be the best decision you’ll make all day.  Tell yourself you won’t do it and act on it won’t change anything for you.  Change is good.  Everyone wants it at some point in their life…it’s just the matter of when you decide to start and if you decide to stay determined.
In this fitness center, painted right on the wall by one of the machines is the quote “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right!”  Keep saying “I should” and “I wish I could” – 90% of the time you won’t.  Say you don’t have time, you’ll never start.  Say working out is too hard, you and anyone else hearing it will never start. 
Make a deadline of when you are going to start up your work outs.  Get a plan put together.  If you need help from someone, ask them.  If they can’t or won’t help you, they can at least point you in the right direction of who could get you started. 
I know it wasn’t easy for me to start out, it probably wasn’t for Jeremy or anyone else who’s started out trying to better themselves.  Work hard, stay positive and remember my friend Jeremy’s quote I heard tonight: “It’s taken a lot of discipline…a LOT of discipline.” 
Make it happen now!  Good luck!!

1 comment:

  1. People want to talk about their accomplishments, just maybe, if I can help them be excited about fitness they can then pass that on to 1 more person. It's great to have support at every level!

    ReplyDelete