Thursday, January 13, 2011

Mixing it up

Almost two weeks into it. Training is going very well. This is not just running, this is cross training too. It's not just physical work outs, but gaining mental strength each day. It takes a desire, a discipline to accomplish any kind of goal. I've come to find out the harder you work, the more you want to show yourself that you can improve as a person. Sitting there after a workout the other night that consisted of an hour long boot camp that I mentioned to the instructors "this is a nice warm up for my four mile interval run I need to do now." One of the instructors knows me, the other it was the first time we met. He was talking with someone else when I told Chris that. He turned around and said, "This is a warm up for you??" It was a boot camp that incorporated a lot of cardio and some strength training. Anything from jump rope, to medicine ball workouts, figure eights, balancing exercises, ab work and the warm up to get you going, laps around the conference center room. This was my first experience to this boot camp. I had been invited to every single one by my friend/trainer Chris but it's never worked out for me to attend. This time it did and I'm glad. There was about 30 people in attendance, ranging from younger kids to mature adults. I'd consider myself one of the adults, minus the mature part. Although, when I get in a gym like setting or boot camp, this is business to me. It takes a certain kind of focus to get your "work" done. I could feel it burn a few times during this session. I started questioning myself whether I should tame it down a bit so I could get my entire work out done...but when you get down to business, you want to do the job to the best of your ability and that's what I tried for. I still wasn't satisfied with my own effort, but I don't think I ever am.
Following the boot camp, it was a short jaunt from the event center to the fitness center less than a block away. Having to walk outside in the Vibram Five Fingers got a little cold on the feet, but they warmed up quick when we got inside. I got there right before Chris came in the door. Fired up he asked how I liked the boot camp. I mentioned it's a great thing for everyone that can come, plus it's free. Even if you're not a member to the gym. Can't really go wrong with that!
I ripped those tear away pants off, luckily I did remember my shorts this time for the workouts. There was a time once I forgot to put shorts on prior to a work out and fortunately wasn't as energized starting up that workout...so I took them off slowly to realize...whoops! Looks like I'll be right back....I don't think they'll appreciate a guy working out in his underwear at a public gym. That was back when I was young and stupid....(Last year)

I hopped on the tread mill and got ready for my 12x400's that I had to do. Intervals: 12 400 meter runs at 90 seconds faster than your anticipated pace for the marathon. It's not so bad, you get a 90 second break (light jog) between each one. You get done with the first three and think this isn't going to be tough at all. The fourth through the eighth are the worst. That's when your body pipes in and says, "Hey buddy, could you quit hurting me like this...I'd like a break. Please! Seriously, I need to stop..." Once you get past eight, you think, "Ah, I've only got four more to do, now I'm in the groove!" Then you just sail right on through the final runs and feel excellent afterwards.
The cool down is probably the coolest part of the work out. Maybe that's why it's called a "cool" down? It's the point for me to walk, think back to the start time of the boot camp, the exercises you were put through, the intervals that were completed and relax the mind and body before a stretch and departure back home.
I was told about a three days a week run program which I'm trying this year. So far, I like it a lot. It's three days of running, two days of cross training and two days of rest. I like the days of exercise mentally...my body loves the two days of rest. I was told this would be more intense than other running programs. I believe it now after just 10 days of participating in it. It not only works for someone who's done several runs before, but anyone at any level of exercise. I'd highly recommend it to anyone that wants to get a program started.

Stationary bike, kettle bells and one my favorite cross training tools: boxing! It's a good thing Chris is a retired pro boxer, that brings not only knowledge of how to jab and punch, but he's one of the most intense guys I've worked out with before. He also introduced me to the kettle bells which have been instrumental to my running.
So many think exercise is "work". It's tough, but once you get going with it, you can do so much that it's a variety and that will make it fun. I believe it depends on who you surround yourself with when you work out too. Be around people that don't like the pain and soreness, you eventually won't either. Stick around the ones who encourage and tell you that you're doing good, looking strong and to keep working hard, it makes a big difference.
If it's been your decision to work to get stronger, run faster, lose weight or just to step foot in a gym...don't just have at it, KEEP AT IT TOO!! You won't see the results you want in a month's time...but come two or even three months, things will start to become visibly better for you personally and others will start to notice as well. Get on course, stay on course and stay positive.
"You can make a decision or you can make an excuse, but you can't make both." -- One of my mentors, Larry Winters

No comments:

Post a Comment