Saturday, January 8, 2011

Go to it

One week of actual training is complete.  This first week of the year is always the toughest stepping stone to getting to that next level.  Sometimes you feel that your body is questioning you as if you’ve never done something like this before.  Telling me to eat more of those delicious sweets that we packed in over the holidays and the other stuff that just doesn’t do you any good.  In just a week of cutting out most of the “junk” my body is responding a lot better.  I like to be a guinea pig to my own studies sometimes, to see how bodies really react to certain situations.  I did that this year.  I took times throughout the fall and into the early winter to stop running and take some weeks off, just to see what it was like.  I can explain the feeling you have when you’re experiencing it in two words: It sucked! 
My breathing was worse, strength was awful and when I got back into an actual fitness routine, it took over a week to get settled in to a comfortable (if you want to call it that) situation that my body would finally respond to in a positive way. 
If you’re a runner, or just someone who likes to be active, don’t ever try that.  Just like that old public service announcement said: “You can learn a lot from a dummy….”  I think that was about safety belts, but you can learn a lot from not being responsible when it comes to your health, that’s for sure. 
I recently got a physical done, right before the new year and heard a couple of good compliments that at first I was a little nervous about hearing the nurse say, “Oh my….” After taking my pulse.  She checked it once, then had to check one more time to make sure she counted right I guess.  After the second time, she asked, “You must be an athlete?”  I responded back, “Nope, just a runner, kind of…”  She mentioned that I must run quite a bit because I had the strongest heart (lowest count for resting heart rate) she’s ever seen.  After she told me the count I asked “Does that mean I’m legally dead?”   She told me it meant I’m legally very healthy.  I guess this running stuff is paying off. 
Along with the running this year, as you will see at the Fargo Marathon event and if you make a trip to the other runs we’ll be part of, I want to make an impact on people that are in attendance.  Not just the spectators, but other runners, volunteers and anyone else that might be around during these great marathon runs. 
There is one thing I’ve never been concerned about, but it is asked many times…about my finishing time.  I’m never embarrassed to tell people how long it takes me to get to that line, as long as I do. 
When I carry the colors with me, I want people to know what it’s all about.  I stop and talk with people along the route at times.  I make sure my friend and all of the fallen soldiers are represented in a positive way.  So everyone knows the sacrifice they made is the reason why I run these events the way I do. 
Back in the day, I never wanted anyone to look up to me.  I felt that would be too much responsibility for me to handle.  That self-confidence that I lacked might have had something to do with it.  That perspective has changed, along with my attitude towards life.  I want people, especially the younger generation to be inspired by the running I do.  I hope to be someone they can look at as a role model, not just in terms of running, but how you treat people with respect; the same things that my good friend Corey resembled in his life when he was around.  I looked up to him even though he was younger than me.  I didn’t care, he knew what he wanted in life and went out to get it.  That deserves respect and it inspired me, plus it’s a motivation factor now that he’s gone.  I still look up to him (literally). 
I know that at every finish line, he is there cheering me on to the end.  It gives you that added push to keep going.  I would never want to let my friend down, so giving up is never an option. 
I’ve been seeing more and more people setting up their resolutions and now coming into the gym that I work out at.  It’s great to see!  I hope they, and you, stick with it no matter how tough it seems.  When you’re burning, you’re earning!  That’s what I was told once, then I laughed.  I just imagined myself with my clothes on fire running around screaming.  Not THAT kind of burning…you know what I mean! … I hope…
My other hope is to see you at the Fargo Marathon in May.  Sign up and commit!  Get it done.  Accomplish your goals, one step at a time.  Have fun and go to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment