Friday, March 11, 2011

The madness is spreading

Not everyone can say that they’ve run in a marathon event.  Some will tell you the same thing I used to claim, that I would never run in a half or full marathon as long as I live.  Things change and so do people.  Your mindset will change as you get older…or should I say, wiser! 
With the definition of wise you could probably add the term crazy.  It seems to go hand in hand with anything you do.  Wise ideas can turn into something big or it can stay something small which in both cases are fine.  When I started running in memory of my friend Corey, I never imagined it to be much of anything for other people.  I wanted to do it to honor him in a way that took some sacrifice, preparation and hard work to achieve what I wanted.  I could have done many other things other than running but when it came down to it, running seems to be the one thing you can do physically by yourself, without having to have others there with you at all times.  Yes, it’s nice to join forces with other people and have someone there to push you to the next level but in essence, it’s not mandatory. 
The people who keep me going and doing what I do aren’t around me physically, but I know they’re looking down on me every time I train and at every event.  Thousands of soldiers who have lost their lives, many of which don’t get any recognition for their duty of serving and protecting the country they love.  A country where crack head, drug addict will get hours of media attention yet hasn’t done anything for his country that’s good.  Yes, he may have made some people laugh and entertained millions, but what would happen if you suited him up into a military uniform (and I’m not talking about some movie or TV role where he’s “acting” as a soldier) and sent him over seas.  Which media outlet that has nothing better to do than follow this idiot around like a lost puppy looking for attention would follow him over seas and keep up to date with his daily activity?  I’m sure most of them would jump right on that!...Or not. 
All I want to do is get these men and women who actually serve and do something for their country the recognition they deserve, which is a lot more!  I’m finding out through other runners and organizations that it is really is happening, you just don’t hear about it in the news.   
I received a letter from another runner earlier this year stating that she was one of my dad’s students from back in the day.  Here is the letter I got:
"Hi Kurt,
Not sure if you recognize my name or not, but your dad was my math teacher in Gonvick, 25 years ago or so. We exchange Christmas cards every year and this year the letter talked about how you have run and still run with a flag. I also had googled "running with a flag" and an interview you had done with a man who had run a half marathon (I think it was) was one of the first links. I thought what a small world that my old math teacher's son would appear after googling about the flag.
Anyway, before hearing about anyone running with a flag, I had gotten the feeling that I needed to do this while on a run last summer when I ran up a hill and saw a flag waving in the distance on a beautiful summer day. I'd like to run in honor of those who have fought and those who are currently fighting for our freedom and for our great country. I'm signed up to run Grandma's marathon in June and will start training here in a few weeks. Any advice on how to prepare for such an undertaking would be much appreciated!
Thanks :) – Jean B.”
And people say I’m crazy!  I’m not the only one that thinks that way as you can see!  I received that message in mid-January.  Never did I think that someone else would want to do this, but I have seen others at some runs carrying the Old Glory.  The year I did the full marathon in Fargo (2008) I ran into a guy who had carried an American flag the same size as mine, but did the 5K.  Bigger guy, about 6’3” maybe 225.  Army guy in fact.  He asked me if I really ran the entire distance with the flag, the full 26.2 miles.  I mentioned that I ran, walked, hobbled and nearly crawled for part of it my legs hurt so bad.  My entire body hurt extremely bad after that run for a few days.  The following day it felt like someone had taken a hammer to my entire body and pounded on me for a few hours.  With better preparation and better knowledge of how to make it through a race I’ve been able to figure out ways that work good to run while limiting the pumping of one arm to carry the colors that represent the country my friend and thousands of others lost their life for.  Now I'll be teaming up in 2011 with Jean during the Grandma's Marathon event in June to show respect and honor to our fallen in two events: the half AND the full marathon!  I'm definitely looking forward to this as well!
In the past, it wasn’t a big thing for me when it comes to time.  I sent a text message to the girl who inspired me to run, who believed in me even when I didn’t believe in myself.  My sister Nikki has been a huge part of my success in getting going and becoming a “runner”.  I still don’t look at myself as a runner, knowing there’s so many that are more professional when it comes to the marathon routes.  But this year, I have set a goal.  I want to break two hours for a half marathon.  I’ve got four chance to do it.  Every year I schedule four (4) half marathons (13.1 miles) to honor Corey.  His number in hockey was 4…my number in basketball was 13.    It just makes sense.  I will do this while carrying a 3’x5’ American flag.
 
I know what it takes, now I just have to do it. 
What ever your goal is, tell someone.  Explain to them that you will do it.  Don’t just say it, work towards that goal and accomplish it.  Don’t be satisfied with, “Well, I tried.”  Get it done!  Just like my sister always told me when it comes to running and trying for something more: “I know you can do it, all you have to do is try!”  I tried and did it…which turned that saying into: “I knew you could do it!  And now you know it, too!”

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Kurt! Where are you running the full this year?

    ReplyDelete