Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lots of activity

It’s not every day that I mix running with a couple forms of cross training.  I decided tonight would be a good night for that.  The longest night of training so far leading up to the first runs of 2011, I was in the gym from just after five o’clock until almost seven thirty.  There was a part in there when it was ten minutes of rest, but otherwise it was anything from running to walking, boxing four rounds of two minutes with one minute rest intervals in between with the champ, Chris, and a ten minute kettle bell ladder work out that lasted just over ten minutes.  It got fairly tiring, as that was done after a four mile mid-tempo run, then some stretching and the boxing followed right after that.  The ten minute rest took place in between the boxing and kettle bell ladder work out.  It was much needed.  My body, especially my feet, didn’t like me much tonight.  Especially Mr. Left foot…when you’re focused on your work in the gym, you sometimes fail to notice pain you’re going to feel later on, like when you shower.  My left foot, right by the big toe somehow got cut open.  There was even tape on the part where it got cut!  I have no clue how it happened, but when I took my Vibrams off, there was a huge red blotch right by the big toe where my athletic tape was wrapped.  It was a decent gash that is now covered with a big band aid.  That should do the trick. 
Like I mentioned, when you’re focused on your work outs, you don’t really notice that pain.  I could feel it when I was walking out of the gym, but didn’t think much of it.  The short ride home followed by a nice long shower provides time to think about the work outs you just accomplished along with what will be coming up later.  I follow a program I put together, but it’s still something I like to think about for tomorrow’s session. 
To me, all the work that was done tonight doesn’t seem like much.  Yes I was in there for a decent amount of time and the work that was done isn’t easy, but it’s all part of the preparation to get you ready for the runs you’re going to participate in.  A kettle bell ladder consists of two kettle bell work outs, rotating back and forth with short breaks between each rep.  Starting out with forty swings (two handed), set it down, do six squats.  Then you go down the “ladder” for swings and up the “ladder” with squats.  So the next set will consist of thirty swings and seven squats.  Twenty swings and eight squats.  Fifteen swings and nine squats then finishing off ten and ten.  All to be accomplished within a ten minute period.  Well, at least that’s the goal.  I failed to make that goal tonight, it took me just over eleven minutes, but I still did each step.  I did that same ladder after a ten mile run on Monday night and actually fell over after the kettle bell work out to the point I could barely get my legs to keep me up.   I’m not talking about fainting or passing out…after I dropped that bell, I fell right on my butt and could definitely feel the burn!  The ten mile run followed by the kettle bell ladder drill was done at a decent rate.  Eighty-nine minutes to get the ten miles done, which is good for me…and only fifteen seconds over ten minute to get the kettle bell work out done.  I was also going to do some boxing Monday night too, but my boxing buddy wasn’t in working that night.  Probably a good thing.  That night my legs didn’t like me, much like my feet hated me tonight. 
Also mixed in this week, last night, the Sprint 8 workout.  I absolutely love this work out.  With ninety second rest intervals, you run sprints for thirty seconds, starting out at about 75% of your max, then 80%, 85% and so on until you get up to 100% - all out, arms pumping, legs about to fall off, full speed ahead!  This is good to do on a treadmill because you’re forced to sprint as hard as you can the entire thirty seconds.  If you’re outside, you might lack some speed but it’s still great to do both inside and outside.  I heard about that workout from my friend Dan Clark.  He’s kind of the man.  He’s also got a great book called Gladitor: A True Story of Roids, Rage & Redemption.  If you haven’t read it yet, read it, you’ll love it!  There you go, my plug about mental preparation, reading!
Right now I’m reading a book called Wooden on Leadership.  I think it’s one of the longer books by the late John Wooden, former UCLA Bruins men’s basketball coach (should have been in Minnesota!!).   Read his books, you’ll find out what I’m talking about.
Work hard and work smart.  Utilize your time in the gym if you’re going to the gym and outdoors if you’re out snow shoeing after yet another “spring time” winter storm we just got!! 
Good luck with your training and remember to always stay positive when it comes to your training even if you find out that your foot is bleeding profusely.  

We've added another run to our schedule!  Check it out at www.philcosfreedomteam.net

No comments:

Post a Comment