Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On the move

In order to achieve goals, you need to move forward one step at a time.  It’s a long process sometimes, and if it’s something great, it’s a definite thing. 
I recently got a phone call from my friend Bruce Billington, the director of the project I have aligned my team with – Project New Hope.  This is an organization dedicated to serving our war vets and their families, hosting retreats to serve them in ways they need when they return from war time experiences. 
When I got the rundown of how this organization works, what they do and how motivated they are, I knew right away it was the non-profit I was going to support and promote when I’m out running. 
Bruce mentioned to me on the phone Friday evening on my way to a game that they’re on the move.  Project New Hope is making their baby steps into bigger steps, but still as you know, just one step at a time.  Their goal is to get in all 50 states and provinces in Canada.  They’ve accomplished that in some already and are on the move with talks to another twenty states now. 
When I asked Bruce how things were going and what he’s been up to, he said it’s been a busy time, but good time.  Explaining this move forward I know he’s excited and I’m excited for him and the entire organization.  I know his status on the project he is passionate about and he will never let it slide when it comes to helping out war vets and their families.  Bruce is one himself, so he knows the importance of this organization he’s created. 
The letter he had sent out a little while back prior to giving me a call stated this:

Friends of Project New Hope,
Attached to this email is a picture representing the current impact of Project New Hope(PNH) across the United States.  The PNH dog tags represent States that are currently holding PNH retreats, and the red stars represent States that we are in talks with about bringing PNH to them.  Twenty States currently have reached out to us wanting PNH.  If we succeed bringing in these 20 States, we will be half way to our goal of being in ALL 50 States.
(See map posted below)

Reading a note like that gets you fired up.  Well, it gets me fired up I know that.  Maybe to some people it’s not a huge deal.   But to thousands who have served the country and want an organization like this that they can go to when they return, it means the world. 
Running itself would be just that, running.  When you tag along side a non-profit that wants to make this nation a better place, it makes it even more worthwhile.  Running to remember fallen soldiers – and at the same time promoting a project like this gives me all the energy I need.  Adding to that, the opportunity to be part of Project New Hope’s success, turns it in to an honor for me personally.  Bruce had asked me on the phone to be involved with their moving forward, which I look at as a huge honor.  I had no clue who this group was two years ago.  Just five months ago, I was sitting at a meeting with the entire Project New Hope executive board in Brainerd, MN for an all day learning session about who they are, what they do, and where they’re going.  I can tell you this much…they’re going!  Taking the steps necessary to make a move like this possible, with a dedicated group that wants to get it done.  That’s who I want to be aligned with.  People motivated to move forward; inspiring other states to do the same; preparing themselves for what lies ahead and staying determined every step of the way with poise and focus.  THAT is who I want to be aligned with!  I’ve got those four words on my back during every run…my four “keys” to get it done.
 
Motivation      Inspiration      Preparation      Determination
They have it figured out.  Now they’re going out and acting on it.  Even if they don’t have every single thing figured out right now, learning is an important thing during the journey too.  Just like John Wooden says:
“It’s what I learned after I knew it all that matters most.” 
Thank you Project New Hope members for doing what you do!  Keep up the great work and keep providing more great news for others to feed off of and get motivated with like I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment